Listening To The Body . . .

August 25, 2013 – 11:46 p.m.

Well, I have three days until my departure, and the packing is winding down.  I’ll write a list at some point, but now I’m paying attention to little signs that my body is testing me temporarily.

1.  I’m beginning to get a sore throat.  Neil presented me with a bottle of Echinacea and a spray Zicam container.  I’ve begun “the cure”, making sure this new symptom learns that it will not throw me off my course.

2.  My daughter and son-in-law went bowling with us yesterday, because I had two Living Social Deals for Chipper Lanes.  Now I haven’t been bowling in 30 years, and though this morning I felt fine, tonight my knees and thighs feel as though I’ve been beaten up.  This too shall pass.

3.  I’m exhausted much of the time.  This might be the result of my inability to sleep at all  until about 3:00 a.m., thinking, re-packing in my head, getting up to send just one more e-mail so I won’t forget it in the morning, etc.

I am happy to report this: I’m very aware of the fact that once I board IcelandAir, none of the above will matter.  My plans this past twenty months will finally “beam me up, Scotty” to the journey that will take me who knows where over the next seven or eight weeks.  Ah, of course I know where I’ll be geographically, but physically, emotionally, yes, even spiritually, I’ll be in outer space.  Just. Where. I. Want. To. Be.

Advertisements

About Woodswoman

Writer, educator, psychotherapist, woodswoman. Crave solitude and just walked the Camino de Santiago from the French Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela. Long-term partner, Neil. Three grown kids, one traveling the world for a couple of years (see theparallellife.com), and two in other countries . . . Thailand and Texas! One Golden Retrievers and two cats. Avid reader, looking for 10 more hours in each of my days.
This entry was posted in Ailments, Body readiness, Camino de Santiago, Preparation, What Goes on in the Mind and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Listening To The Body . . .

1. Daryl Wisch says:

you are right you are going to be fine…..better then fine.ENJOY……. we’ll be thinking of you,

2. viviana says:

The same happens to me once I live home to go on a journey. Overnight even if I sleep I review mentally everything. Have a wonderful journey!

3. Kate Duncan says:

“Reckless abandon” will occur soon. Let it happen, adventuresome friend!

4. I’m confident that your sore throat and aches from bowling will be gone by the time you board your flight. For sure, I’ll be “shadowing” you all the way. ¡Buen viaje!

5. I am so pleased I met you at the Eleanor Roosevelt event, just in time to follow your journey on the Camino! I walked 75 miles in 6 days on the Camino Portugues from Tui to Santiago in 2007, and I hope to return to Spain to walk the Camino Frances one day. I have enjoyed reading this evening all your posts, from the beginning, especially your tribute to your mom. My mom was born on September 2, 1909, and also lived to be 91. Buen Camino, my new friend!

6. Justin L. says:

Outer space is nice. Trust me.

7. Mary says:

Just now this came to my in-box. Go figure!

8. Pat McCandless says:

Joannah, Good travels, fulfilling travels, go- with- the- spirit travels. You’ll be in my thoughts.